Friday, August 04, 2006

Mine Venner.

An observation:

I had lunch today with 7 women from the YES crew here at the Republic. You might imagine how a conversation between such women might have gone, knowing that--for a living--these women do three things: Buy clothes, write about those clothes, and then return the clothes. It's endlessly interesting conversation, and I prefer just to listen.

But that's not the point. The point of this entry is an observation I made at the restaurant we ate at, which was Mi Amigos.

At every table--at every place setting--was a napkin with a fork on it. Then I started looking around, and regardless of what everyone was eating (from burritos to salads), not one soul of them had anything but a fork. This fascinated me.

"THE FORK IS THE ONLY NECESSARY UTENSIL." (create your own accent).

That's what I heard--—subliminally screaming--ringing in my mind's ear.

"IT CAN SCOOP AND IT CAN EVEN CUT--—IF YOU REALLY NEED IT TO."

What a bold and fearless move, to discard that three-utensil-thinking that's prevailed for centuries, both in Europe and America.

"I ONCE KILLED, GUTTED, SKINNED AND ATE AN ANIMAL....ALL WITH MY FORK."

It's true: of the three, the fork is undoubtedly the most versatile of silverware as we know it. But I couldn't help but think that a kind of brainwashing was taking place. Was I the only one who noticed? Was I the only one who cared?

"VIVA LA FORKE!!!"

I don't dare think on what would have happened if I told them of my affinity for the spoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great observation wesman.

I, however, prefer the spoon. If I was left on an uninhabited island and had to choose between a spoon, fork or knife...I’d take the spoon.

Unlike the fork, the spoon can HOLD water, or coconut milk, or whatever. The spoon can also cut and scoop and finally, I just like spoons...a big one preferably. I like to eat my cereal, soup, hot chocolate, ice cream and other assorted goodies with a spoon. I also like to eat my rice, corn (not on the cob), peas, beans, and other hard to manage foods with a spoon. While a fork would do...I prefer the spoon as he can manage it all. A spoon can do pretty much anything a fork can do except leave a straight 4 or 3 dot pattern on your skin when you press down real hard.

Now, on to the brainwashing. Could it possibly be that as a society brought up on fast food we don't even really need utensils anymore and we're really just hanging on to that one final utensil that is keeping us from reverting back to the caveman style of eating...that is eating with one of the most useful tools known to man...our hands! Yes our dirty filthy hands. You have to love those guys. Frankly, most of the food I eat I can eat without any utensil at all. Maybe, some day I’ll try it.

So on to my final synopsis. The introduction of the Spork http://mentalfloss.com/images/facts/sprk.jpg (most notably in a mess kit or at Taco Bell) was one of the shortest lived phenomenons ever…why don’t we just bring those back?!?

samcjohn