Taxed for time as I am, I am becoming more and more selective with my film viewing. So, I hope it goes without too much saying that I had an old-fashioned feeling that Reign Over Me might be something special.
It's the kind of film that made me say "Well, Don Cheadle is in it..." knowing that he is never a dissappointment. Not that I thought Sandler would be, but I felt that Don added some definite credibility to the idea of making a drama with Sandler fly.
I am eating those thoughts for a late-night snack; Adam Sandler can ACT.
I have seen Punch Drunk Love. I enjoyed it. It made me think that Sandler might really be able to break out an pull off a serious roll. I am here to tell you that his performance in Punch absolutely pales compared to what he delivers in Reign Over Me.
The character is a man who lost his wife and 3 daughters in one of the 9-11 flights, and suffered such an extreme post-traumatic experience that he has literally blocked them and any memory of them from his memory. Don Cheadle is his old college roommate who runs into him after 15 years and it all takes off from there.
It's not often to find a film that can deftly toggle from deep and dark to light and comedic. It is brilliantly written and there's believable chemistry between the two main characters. The other good thing is that, while the subject matter was based on one specific event (9-11), the overarching experiences of loss and rediscovery are very universal.
I am telling you, there are 2 scences in this film that will choke you up proper. Sandler so brilliantly sells the character as one who is on the very edge of self-destruction, that when he finally cracks, every one in the theather was sniffin' up snot (I didn't say whether he cracks open or cracks apart. You'll have to see for yourself).
It will make you laugh and sympathize and want to ride a go-ped. There's some language, but it isn't gratuitous or forced.
I honestly think Adam will get an Oscar nod for this one, and it already is a runner for one of the best films of the year. Two thumbs and lots of hair straight up for this one.
wesman.
Friday, March 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I will have to see this. Unfortunately though, the way the Academy works, this will be long forgotten by the time the nominees come out. :(
Hope you are doing well!
Jenny
We want Finn.
We want Finn.
We want Finn.
We want Finn.
We want Finn.
Post a Comment