Tuesday, October 23, 2007

lost and found.

This is a longer story than I have time for, but it needs to be written.

A Short Preface:

Growing up, we had Kidd. He was the greatest. He lived to be 17 years old. So, needless to say, he was like my brother. I'll try and find a photo with us sometime.

One day my parents had him on the outskirts of town and he got lost. It was a bad place to get lost. It was perhaps the single longest weekend of my pre-adult life. I have never prayed more fervently for anything like I prayed to find Kidd. We went back to the huge undeveloped lot where he was lost. It was a Sunday morning. We looked and looked and never found. There are not words for the sorrow I felt at that time. Just as we were getting ready to leave, we checked one last spot--and found him. I must have been 10, and he lived to see me off on my mission at 19 and passed while I was away. I love kid so stinking much to this very day that I have already betrothed Libby to him for the next life.

This Friday we lost Koda:



We looked all night and much of the next day. All I could do was picture her, like Kidd, in some abandoned field--cold and shivering--and running from the coyotes. I wandered fields, streets, canals and golf-courses looking for her. It was horrible.

But I prayed just as hard for Koda. Man it hurt. I blessed our dinner and offered one last prayer for her, and not 30 seconds after I said "Amen" did the phone ring and a lady had found Koda. Flyers work.

I don't care what your religious affinity is--or if you have none at all--I can promise you that there is a God, and He loves his kids. I know it more vividly than any single thing on this earth. Being a father has only heightened that sensibility for me. I have had more prayers answered in more inarguably real ways than I can count.

You can reason any of this away. I don't mind. I know it's real and true. I am reminded of the 11th article of faith for the LDS church:

"We claim the privilege of worshipping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege--let them worship how, where, or what they may."

I love those words. I love brother Joseph. I love freedom and tolerance.

Thanks for tolerating me, all of those who do...

wesman.

1 comment:

Cardigan Empire said...

Wes-
I am so glad that you, Lyndsay, Finn, and Libby have Koda back in the family. Andrew and I were worried and sent a silent prayer up in your behalf. Flyers work, but they work better when they have almighty power behind them.
Best blessings on you and your family.