Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Reel Time.

So it's getting real. I am shooting 16mm Film now. I had my first experience loading last night. Let me tell you, I have done a lot of things in the dark, and this was by far the most difficult of them all. Loading 8x10 sheet film doesn't even compare to how tough loading motion picture film is.

I had to black out the window—even in the middle of the night—to gain complete darkness. Then you have to unload the film, get it successfully onto the core, feed the film through a small sprocket, measure the film perfectly to a specific point on the magazine, wrap it around to another sprocket, feed it through a narrow slit, put a small crease in it, plug it into the other core and wind it a couple of rounds. ALL IN THE DARK.

It went slow, but very smoothly. I am pretty proud of myself. Here's the canister it came in, along with Finn's hand on the scanner.


Most motion picture film is Tungsten-Balanced. This means if you're shooting indoors, it's good to go, but if it's outside, you have to slap a Wratten 85 Filter on the lens, so the world doesn't turn wintery-blue.

Anyway, I am running tests all this week, and am excited about it.

peas.

wes.

1 comment:

Dallas said...

I do that to myself all the time. t