Friday, February 20, 2009

The Making of a Diva.


I thought this an appropriate image for an Oscar Post.

We were doing a shoot for a dentist today (see new Homepage Image) and as they were stying the models, this concept came to me (diva concept). The hairspray to the eye, however, was totally spontaneous---unexpected and absolutely welcome. I love this shot.

SO. I have to go, 'cause I've gotta watch "Changeling" right now---it's the only one of the Cinematography noms that I haven't seen--but I'll throw out my guesses very quickly for the winners (not all of them are who I want to win, but who I think will win):

Best Actor: Sean Penn, "Milk" (I would prefer Micky Rourke in "The Wrestler")

Best Supporting: Heath Ledger, "The Dark Knight" (he absolutely deserves it)

Best Actress: Kate Winslet, "The Reader" (because it's been too long in coming)

Best Director: David Fincher, "Benjamin Button" (AMEN, AMEN, AMEN)

Best Documentary: "Man on Wire" (almost my favorite film of the year)

Best Short Film, Live Action: "Grisen" (because it's Dansk and because it's wonderful)

Best Picture: "Slumdog Millionaire" (because it is, of course)

And, Most Importantly:

Best Cinematography: Wally Pfister, "The Dark Knight"

That was a TOUGH one for me. I love the look and feel of "Benjamin Button" more, but Wally Pfister deserves it more. Also, "The Dark Knight" is SO epic: Shot on 70mm for many scenes.

But I would not be surprised in the least if "Button" wins, as it was captured digitally and is a milestone in many ways.

SO, there's my votes. Hope you all enjoy the Oscars. I hope you watch it at all.

wesman.

PS--Watch Conan's Last "Late Night" TONIGHT!!!

2 comments:

gfmedia said...

thanks for your predicts, looks like we are on the same lines for 90% of them, nice to know you have good taste ;)

Babeich said...

There is a new Danish movie called "Just Another Love Story" that just came out and Ebert said that it was filmed like an old film noir, so I am dying to see it. I am trying to keep an eye out for this one (if it ever comes to the valley). Let me know if you see it and how it was. :)