Friday, April 10, 2009

cinematogra-me.

Welcome to the newly-named version of my same-old blog.

I decided upon a rebirth for my blog because everything else in my life is starting over. Not starting over as much as evolving, but there's a lot of newness.

For the next several years, I will be establishing myself as a Cinematographer: 2 years of school followed by a lifetime of passionate exploration of a medium that I consider the highest of all art forms. I deal in Light, and Cinematography is the ultimate man-made expression of it.

"twenty-four frames" for those who may not know, is the standard framerate for recording motion pictures: at twenty-four frames per second, which most closely approximates/replicates the way humans see the world. There's other framerates (which can be wicked fun to utilize) such as 12 frames per second ("fps"). This would, when played back at 24fps make everything appear to be moving very quickly. Or 48fps, which would slow things down. We call this "under cranking" and "over cranking." You can always go faster or slower with your frame rate, but you can only shoot at 24fps for sync-sound (to match with the audio of people speaking).

So, there's that. This blog will now reflect my life, which life will be comprised of 95% of my time being devoted my education, and 5% for everything else--the "maintenance" of everything else: my family, church ,etc. That 5% will be very potent, very qualitative time. I want to thank my wife in advance for her patience, for her support, for her love. There is no way on God's Green Earth that I could be doing this without her confidence in me. She is, as I like to say, the H-Bomb.

There will be long, hard and trying times ahead. This education--this pursuit of passion--will come at a significant sacrifice, financially, emotionally, physically and otherwise.

But on the other side of such sacrifice comes the reaping of a satisfaction known to very few.

Slow, steady growth. That's what wins the race. And here we go. August will be here in no time.

There's still loads to get done: Properties to sell, Student Loans to acquire, a Home in Hollywood to be found, and a million little things.

wes.

2 comments:

The Fifes said...

that's fascinating. I'm excited for you, and will love little tidbits along the way (like sound-matching is only at 24fps). Met with Ron H yesterday, got to chat photos, and he raved about you. So did i. We love your photography, and i know you're going to be as amazing in your new medium. Good luck!

ryan hoffman photography said...

I hope this means that we get continued interesting second hand film knowledge from your blog now. I wonder if my used Super 8 camera is running to the appropriate speed. How can I figure that out?