Friday, July 24, 2009

In a word: Classic.

The past several years of my life have been INJECTED with cinema. Eat it, breath it, drink it, dream it. I have watched so many films that I feel like I'm starting to forget more than some ever see. I've considered it my duty and, dare I say it, my pleasure...

There are certainly films that I've struggled through, but felt obligated to watch. Fortunately, they are the exception more than the rule.

The reason I'm posting this is because, even as a filmmaker, I have not been a lover of the "Classics" in cinema. This is straight-up blasphemy to some people, I know. But let me clarify when I say that I absolutely know them, appreciate them, respect them—it's just that, for the most part, my passion plays to more current styles and subject matters of filmmaking. I am, you may well say, a product of my generation. I think many of the best films ever are being made during my lifetime, and I am very proud of that.

(there's also an enormity of excrement, but amidst the coals are some true gems)

But again, the REASON that I am writing this post is to say: After viewing dozens of them, I am elated to report that I've found real love for some "classics" and I want to promulgate it.


Obviously, there's "Citizen Kane." Like many people, my first viewing of the picture did not leave me with that "this is the greatest movie ever made" feeling. But, subsequently, after watching all the DVD disc II extras (SO important to do, even before your first viewing), and seeing the film several times since, I agree that it's the most incredible cinematic achievement of all time. It's a terribly important film, too--especially for those in the Industry--and not to mention some of the best Cinematography ever put on celluloid.
So, here's to you, Orson.

In the past, I've struggled with Westerns. Being from the heart of the Southwest, I've never really appreciated how it was portrayed. An example of this is "The Searchers." I just didn't care for the movie in the least. Tedious, stereotypical, theatrical. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

But watching "Unforgiven" was a different experience.


Man, do I love Gene Hackman. Really one of the great actors of our time. Clint Eastwood is a legend, but the best move he ever made was to become a Director. He is a good actor, but he is a GREAT director.

And, again, with "Unforgiven," it's more modern filmmaking. More realistic, more veristic.

The last one I'll mention for this post is what I call my "most pleasant surprise" among the classics. Having been disappointed with a number of them, I decided to give it another go with

CASABLANCA.


What a wonderful film! From start to end, I enjoyed this film. It is gorgeously photographed and Art Directed, so if my eyes are in, the rest of me is in. And Humphrey's performance is stellar. So cool. It is one of very few Studio System films that I could watch again and again. A must see, if you've never.


I just wrote about The Godfather Part II, but I want to say again that it's one of the most remarkable films I've ever, ever seen. What an AMAZING achievement.

On that note: How fantastic is this image? What a legacy.


I want to end by saying that I welcome ANY and ALL recommendations of films you've seen and loved--especially the classics, as I am trying to fully verse myself.

My thing is this: I can't see EVERY film. So I want to see the best films made, and spend the rest of my time making the best films to come.

wes.

4 comments:

gfmedia said...

Nice post. I was lucky to grow up with a father who always had TMC and AMC on growing up, so I was constantlyy infused with classics and westerns on a daily basis. A great modern western is the 3:10 to Yuma remake. I generally don't like remakes, but it was well made with great performances.

ryan hoffman photography said...

Just watched Casablanca two nights ago before noticing your post. I loved that movie. It was funny how many classic phrases have come from that film. I had always wanted to see it and was not let down in the least. There are a number of classics that I recently put on my Netflix Queue. I will let you know if any are particularly good.

emo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
emo said...

A film you should see, if you haven't: "La Vie en Rose" starring Marion Cotillard. Life-changing movie for me. Not a "classic", though.

Of the classics, I would recommend "To Kill a Mockingbird", "Roots" (the mini-series), "Cool Hand Luke", "Gone with the Wind", and any Alfred Hitchcock (start with "Rear Window" and "Psycho").

I got more.