Tuesday, August 25, 2009

D-9


I saw DISTRICT NINE over a week ago, but thought I'd throw up a couple thoughts on it anyway.

If you can withstand a number of F-bombs, it is very much worth seeing. It's an uncannily clever way of approaching a very sensitive social topic: To replace humans with aliens so that we can address issues of human rights, refugee camps, political turmoil and crime--without having to name names.

It's this storytelling device of such metaphors--these cloaks as vehicles for addressing things that would be too offensive/sensitive/blatant if they were addressed directly--that I've been really keen on lately. It's an incredibly effective tool.

Any knowledge of Africa's current situation will help you see past the aliens, and into the issues.

Well done.

wes.

1 comment:

Melanie M. McKinnon said...

robby and i saw this last weekend because we heard it was comparable to star trek, which we loved.

yes, this movie was phenomenal. and somehow, even though there were an outstanding number of f-bombs, they fell by the wayside of the wonderfully written plot.

thumbs up.