Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Top 10 of 2009

You'll note that neither The Hurt Locker nor Avatar make it anywhere near my list. As the Oscars have just wrapped and we look forward to a year chock-full of 3D Movies, I figured I'd weigh in on the films that really matter.

Here are my favorite films of 2009. It was not the best year for film, but a couple of these (including my #1) will be favorite films of mine for years and years to come.

10


Two words: Wes Anderson. Two more words: Stop-Motion. Original, creative, refreshing. Though I must admit, as my favorite Director, I can't wait for him to step back into live action.


9


We watched this with Jason Reitman, and maybe that's swayed me, but I think it's a very witty film and I like the subject matter. As genres go, it's certainly unique and surprisingly timely. George Clooney is endlessly entertaining.


8



Go Jeff. A long overdue award for one of the better actors of our time. Love this man.


7


This 70s-esque crime caper is so enjoyable, playful and clever that it almost hurts. If it didn't drag so much in the 2nd act, it'd be higher on my list. A must see.


6


Joel and Ethan, and Roger Deakins. Enough said. It's not No Country, but it's pretty damn great.


5
I love this film for its creative approach to very sensitive social matters.


4

star_trek_xi_<span class=

Yeah. So, this is the most underrated, overlooked film of the year. Of course tons of people saw it, but I am referring to the Oscars and Globes. I am not a trekky, and this film has absolutely blown me away. JJ Abrams took on an enormous challenge, and delivered in the most satisfying way. Yes, some of the dialogue gets hokey, but that's Star Trek and there's nothing for it.

STAR TREK IS THE MOST PERFECTLY PHOTOGRAPHED FILM OF 2009. How Dan Mindel didn't win Best Cinematography is beyond me. Watch it for the beauty of Anamorphic, the insanity of the Steadicam work, and the total confidence and boldness with the lighting. Truly inspiring photography.


3


The reason I love this film is because I expected to hate it. But the power of Quentin's pen cannot be denied. To undertake a foreign film period-piece, with multiple languages—coupled with the sheer audacity to rewrite history, not to mention one of the best opening scenes I've ever seen—makes this an unexpected and very welcome surprise from Tarantino. It's a shame he didn't win best screenplay, but Chris Waltz took it—and deserved it! His performance in this film is the best performance of the year.


2

Speaking of incredible performances—when is Viggo going to get his due? This film is incredibly powerful in so many ways. Yes, it's painful and highly depressing, but that's the point. It's touching and I loved it. The photography is also off the chain.


1


Best film of the year. What else to say? Makes the vampire genre feel as if it's just been created. SO deft and subtle, so moving and heartfelt while remaining horrible and frightening. It's revolutionary.

That's all for now. Please let me know what you loved, if it's not on my list.

wes.

PS—Films I've yet to see that may eventually alter the list:

The White Ribbon (I hear incredible things about this one)
Precious
An Education

No comments: