
This is my favorite recent wedding photograph. I love capturing these off-beats...
Some Thoughts:
So, with Lyndsay's Rents in town last week, I was able to give them all some alone-time with Finn while I snuck off to a couple of films that I'd been itching to see:
Children of Men.
The year is 2027. There hasn't been the birth of a child since 2009. The world is total chaos. That's pretty much the idea behind it. It's a glimpse into a world that isn't, but the thing that stays with you is the gnawing thought that we might not be very far from such a devastating scene. We're so secure in our little USA, while our government slowly makes our world situation worse and worse. It's gonna be hard to find a friend if we don't stop patrolling the universe.
And don't get me started on how we treat our earth. I don't care if Global Warming is fact or fiction. The way we live is fact, and the way we live is crap. We're crapping today on tomorrow's dinner, and it's going to catch up with us. We don’t have to be Fossil Fuel dependent; we don't have to make selfish and myopic decisions in response to population increases; we don't have to deplete and destroy in order to prosper and progress.
Pan's Labyrinth.
What a wildly wonderful fantasy world we get to glimpse into. There are moments that will wisk even the least imaginative of you away. SO GOOD. But that brings me to the only problem with the film: too much of this world and not enough of the Ofelia's. But all the Oscar Buzz comes for good reasons. It is a visual feast and a refreshing adult fantasy (of which I have seen none before this). Absolutely a must-see.
Thanks for reading.
wesman.

3 comments:
Are you selling your cars some time in the near future wes?
I agree with your take on global warming Wes, fact or fiction, it's time to change. The only reason our country cares about what happens in the middle east is oil. How nice it would be to step away and let Israel,the Palestinians, the Iraqis or whoever has the latest grudge kill each other if that's what their hearts desire.
It's about a lot more than oil. Maybe that's what a lot of businesses are interested in, but there's more to it for a lot of people. I'm not saying everything's perfect of even going well, it's a more complicated situation than I think any American could really understand and there is no good solution, no matter who's supporting what. Plus, I know you may have meant it sarcastically, but I never think it's a good idea to sit back and let people kill others just because of differing feelings. If we let that happen here, I bet a lot of us would soon find ourselves dead. Would it be so nice then? Probably not.
I do think we need to treat the world we live in better, but about Al Gore's film... I think anyone that watches that might consider State of Fear, by Michael Crichton. He's famous for his research and documentations, and it makes for an interestng read.
Post a Comment