
...while sitting at my computer in Arizona.
Technology is truly a frighteningly cool thing. If any of you are yet to experience the latest addition to Google Maps, then you need to 'google' it right now. The feature is called "Street View," and it takes mapping to a whole new level.
I tried it on several cities, and the feature doesn't exist in all of them, so it's better to start with a larger one, like New York, Las Vegas or Miami.
What you willl find will blow your mind: You can literally, "virtually" walk down every street that's marked—with 360ยบ degree views wherever you go. As I said, I was just in Central Park, and Times Square (though they should have filmed Times Square at night...).
It is INSANE—Insanely cool and insanely scary. It's causing some controversy, as I hear on NPR. Apparently, not everyone is too keen to have their residence online for the world to see.
Where with this all go? How far can we take a camera? For every possibility it creates, this technology brings with it a lot of baggage. I personally think it's worth it---mostly. That may change if I become the victim of said technology.
For now, just bask in the fact that we CAN. We can do some crazy stuff, us humans.
But I am still waiting to see the first man-made Mustard Seed.
wesman.

1 comment:
it appears google provided a remedy for the "invasion of privacy". If you or your residence are on there or find an obscene picture you can request it to be removed. They've also released another controversial app though - a new Phonebook feature that allows you to Google phone numbers and get the corresponding name and address on a Google map.
Post a Comment