I am going to spend too little time on the former, but you should take the time to see it.
The 'former' being The Bourne Ultimatum. It was great. Even when you start to wonder how many more interesting fight scenes and car chases can be invented, they still manage to make your heart race, make you cringe.
Heart-Pounding Action, and just as enjoyable as the first two. Thanks Roger and Emily for the invite.
NOW, on to the Main Event:
We just rolled in from the Jimmy Eat World concert. A few close friends who were there will attest that it was undoubtedly the best J.E.W. show ever. I mean, wow. There was such an energy about them: you could really feel that they were super jazzed to be playing a show in Mesa (where each of them are from) at the end of a tour that was so evidently all about the music.
Along with a couple new songs, they dug deeper into their archive than I could have imagined they would. And every version played in a way that you'd never quite heard before. Little twists in the rhythm and an edge added to what were otherwise acoustic versions of the works. You name it, they played it: Kill; Your House; On a Sunday, and a version of Roller Queen that is seared in my brain. SO GOOD. For Me, This is Heaven; A Praise Chorus; Lucky Denver Mint. They even busted out Goodbye Sky Harbour, which was just outstanding. It was infectious how into every song Jim got—really aimed to please, and hit. At one point I thought they could go all night! Jim just kept looking at Zach, then Zach would smile and go into another song and another song. The Middle; My Sundown; Get it Faster and of course, Sweetness.
During the middle of the set, Jim said some things that were super meaningful to me. He was talking about AZ: how proud they were to be from Mesa; how they told every one where they're from when they tour. He was talking about not having to go to L.A. to be successful, and said 'why do you have to go to LA? why can't you just stay here and do some good? that's what we're trying to do.' It was actually a profound moment for me personally, who is always wondering if I can fulfill all my ambitions while living in AZ, as much as I love the place. I wasn't expecting that profundity. It's still got me thinking.
MAN, what a great show. What great guys. I will never, ever understand why J.E.W. is still so under-appreciated in the music world. I think it's because the rest of the world doesn't see them like they were tonight. Tonight was about straight love: love of playing what is, in my humble opinion, some intensely wonderful music. They are without any doubt one of the strongest bands I've ever experienced—and they're the pride of Arizona.
AZP.
wesman.
Friday, August 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wes. I couldn't agree more. One of the best shows ever!
Dood. The show rocked! It was such an excellent concert.
Post a Comment