This post isn't meant as an appendage to words already spoken. I don't believe I have it in me at this moment to offer any real comfort or meaning to what is perhaps the most difficult event I've observed in my adult life.
Last week, my oldest friend on this earth (literally: since we were about 3 years old), Robby McKinnon, lost his 5-week old newborn son, Gus. The news itself was enough to send my heart to my stomach and my wife to tears. The actual experience, my mind still cannot begin to wrap itself around. I do not pretend to know what Robby and Melanie must have gone through over the last 6 days. The closest I've come is imagining losing my boy, and that fearful fantasy alone has shaken me to my core with absolute anguish. God save me from such an experience, for I could not take it, and I don't know how the McKinnons have.
I heard something unearthly today. It penetrated past my ears and directly into my soul. It was a mother's cry for the loss of her own, and it was at once so sorrowful and beautiful that I did not believe that it came from the room we occupied. I have never heard a woman weep like Melanie over the body of her baby and can say that until this day, I have never heard the sound of the deepest sadness that a heart can feel. I was moved to tears. If I can say this without doing an injustice to it, I expect that same sound issued from the heart and lips of Mary herself as her Son was laid upon the cross. Innocent. Clean. Perfect. The only consolation comes from knowing that he/He was too good for this life.
wes.
Tuesday, August 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Thank you. That was beautiful.
Wes, this is Robby's sister. I read this yesterday and I called Julie and had her read it and I can't stop thinking about it. I knew you were a gifted photographer, but I had no idea what an eloquent writer you were. Everyone that witnessed this sad event felt what you were able to describe in word. Thank you for summing it all up so perfectly.
Oh, Wes... What can I say... our hearts, in fact our whole bodies, still ache at the pain we witnessed that day. We will miss being able to watch Gus grow up, for now, but he is happy and well and I'm sure actively engaged in some important tast. However, as a mother, Robby's mother, it was almost unbearable to watch them suffer and know there was really nothing I could say or do to make it better... Only time and our knowledge of the Plan will help take the sting away, ...for us and for Robby and Melanie. I am grateful for the Comforter for I lean on Him now.
Thank you for this beautiful, albeit pain caused tribute. May you never have to experience anything close to this.
xox
Tina
Post a Comment