Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Let's talk film making.

I haven't shared any thoughts on my blog for months, though they swirl perpetually in my brain. Some of you know that I am finally taking film making/screenwriting courses, and am more into cinema than ever. I know that a path down that road for me is inevitable; I am also working on a secret screenplay that not even my wife will get to see until it's done.

Needless to say, I watch as many films as I humanly can. Almost one a day. Much of my viewing has been 'catching up' for the many films that were made before I even arrived; the rest is trying to keep up with the current releases, and still being quite exclusive as to what I take the time to watch. THERE ARE A LOT OF FILMS OUT THERE. Holy Moly.

So, I am doing a lot of work. You might even say I am doing a lot of work for YOU, mister or misses who's reading this. Yes, I filter all the crappy films and recommend only the great ones for you to see. So, I am saving you a lot of time. Not that we're going to have the same tastes in Film, but I do feel I have sensibilities towards quality cinema.

And do I have some great ones for you.

While every one has been talking about 3:10 to Yuma, I have been patiently awaiting this film:



It did not disappoint. Over the last year, my opinion of Brad Pitt has done a sincere 180ยบ. He is honestly in my top 5 male actors. His performance of Jesse James was nothing short of penetrating: portraying the most notorious man of a century, who was both keenly intelligent and frighteningly dangerous. You know acting is great when more is said in silence than in words, and that's just how James needed to be portrayed.

The film plays up his legend, and the superstitions of even the people close to James. But even so, in Pitt's able hands, you really got the feeling that Jesse James was more than a man. His ability to read people seemed to border a Sixth Sense.

And I haven't even started with Casey Affleck. WOW. Honestly. I think it is clear that, assuming he doesn't make the same filmic mistakes as brother Ben, his career will be long and successful. The kid can straight up act. As much as Jesse James scared you, you loved him. You rooted for him. He was the kind of outlaw that is revered as much as he's feared.

Then there's Robert Ford. Jesse Frightens you, but Bob Ford will down right give you the willies. I found myself genuinely hating the man. And that is nothing but a compliment! Casey Affleck was perfect in that performance of the obsessive and delusional worshipper of Jesse James, who became so disenchanted with his own nothingness that he took the coward's exit, and shot Jesse in the back.

In short, if you have any interest in the Old West (mid-west, is it were) and the legends of those iconic men who tamed and tackled it, I think you'll love this film. It is slow-paced, but needs to be, as it's extremely psychological.

NEXT:

On a much, MUCH lighter note, I have emerged with 2 films that are currently tied for First Place as my Best of 2007. You know one of them, and it just came out on DVD:



If you haven't seen Reign yet, than I am begging you. Sandler is pure brilliance, and Cheadle supports with effortless excellence, like always. I've already blogged about it, so we'll move on.

Last but NOT EVEN CLOSE TO LEAST:



Undoubtedly the Dramedy of the year (though I am seeing Darjeeling this week, and it may be a contender), Rocket Science is the kind of film that forces an audible laugh, no matter how hard you resist. Let me just give you the premise:

A boy with a serious speech impediment ends up on the school Debate team.

Do I need to say more? Even as an old man, I found myself whisked back to awkward adolescence and into the shoes of the protagonist. SO VERY FUNNY and poignant as well. An instant classic, as they say.

Enough. I hope this benefits someone; that even one of you might care enough to read to this point.

They are all rated "R" and appropriately so, if you don't want that in your life--just don't judge me for having it in mine.

wesman.

No comments: