Sunday, January 20, 2008

cloverfield, reviewed.

So to be spontaneous on Lyndsay's day—as should be the custom on any birthday—we decided to hop out and catch a flick. Not just any flick.

CLOVERFIELD.

So we went to the Ciné Capri, aka the greatest single cinematic experience you can conceive. If you live in AZ and have not experienced it, you MUST. You'll never want to see a film anywhere else again.

Enough. Let's get to the review:


The last "thriller" I saw was The Village. It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I never thought I would be thrilled again. I cannot tolerate M. Night Schmappypants and all his vanity.

So I was hesitant to see Cloverfield. It had gotten SO MUCH hype and buzz that I thought it could only be deflating at best.

I was terribly off, and have never been happier to be wrong.

I am not here to ruin the film for you. I am only here to tell you that it is absolutely worth your time: that it is an exceptionally well thought-out film.

And I can promise you will be scared. But good scared. I hate horror films; I love great suspense and surprise, and Cloverfield delivers both.

It is in every way a modern-day Godzilla, but with a Sub-Plot that completely transcends what you might think just another "monster movie." It is a very clever idea: making a video over a previously-recorded tape, and showing the existing footage at all the right times to reveal a sub-plot. Very, very clever.

For all its fright, it is just as light, witty, and several times, down-right hilarious.

Again, the story and the cast are what make the film. For a genre that is SO VERY overdone, Cloverfield is fresh, creative and almost unpredictable—and that is saying something.

So leave the kids at home (and that includes anyone under 15, if you ask me). It is freaking scary in certain parts, and I could not believe that I saw kids under 10 in that theater.

Parents these days...

wesman

No comments: