When the Gods were choosing colors for various parts and places on earth (e.g. The New-England Fall; The Oceanic Reefs; The Pigments for Titian's Paintings; etc), They used the Arizonan Desert as their Testing Palette (fig. A)
Fig. A: Gods' Palette.
What is it? It's Moss. Moss in a myriad forms, hues, textures and variety. Here's more, not 50 yards from what I found above:
I tell you, if I were any more in love with AZ, it might get dangerous. As it is, I can hardly keep from kissing Cacti.

This is the second Saguaro I've saved from a water-sucking, cactus-killing vine. I'm pretty sure it's not native, and therefore must die. Either way, Saguaros take precedence.
I panned for Gold for the first (real) time in my life this last week. I actually found a few flakes, but it was nothing to boast about. I did get like 2 ounces of IRON. But I could have gotten that at the nearest School Playground with a magnet, so again, nothing to write home about. The water was as cold as water gets without being ice.
Then I wandered to the top of a mountain. It was quite an alien landscape coming down. There was this wicked layer of red rock atop the existing yellow stone. Conglomerate meets Volcanic.

I am part Bear Grylls, part Timothy O'Sullivan, part 19th-Century Prospector, part Geologist. All of those and none of those. But discovery of myself and of this life comes with each day.
wesman.

No comments:
Post a Comment