Tuesday, January 29, 2008

På Gensyn, Gordon B.

It's been 48 hours since I learned of the death of Gordon B. Hinckley, the 15th president of the LDS Church. I have been thinking much about him, his life and his impact on my life. I don't often publish highly personal thoughts, but I think a few may be appropriate today.

Gordon B. was ordained the Prophet when I was 16 years old. In a very real way, he's the only prophet that I've "known" personally, and presided over the most spiritually critical years of my life—including my mission in DK, which was about as tough as tough can be on the soul.

In those years I have read his Biography; I have watched him speak dozens of times on dozens of topics; I have read numerous articles written by his hand; I have seen just as many films in which he bore testimony of events, beliefs and experiences; in short, I have spent the last 13 years coming to know the man who was sustained by millions as a Prophet, Seer and Revelator.

And I will say this: He was as noble a man as this earth had to offer, and the only single person whose words could bring me to tears—for their sheer sincerity, humility and love. I never head him speak but that I felt an undeniable affirmation of his goodness. He was a friend of Christ's, and of every living soul.

There is so very much evil spoken about the Mormons; there is so much bitterness and confusion, misinterpretation and mis-drawn conclusions. I wish with all of my heart that, for 10 full seconds, people might feel what I have felt under the guidance of that man. In those 10 seconds, they would not see a light and hear a voice; they would not touch plates of gold or papyrus scrolls; they would not have the myriad questions of life and eternity answered in a moment of ecstatic epiphany.

But they would feel a ripple of substance in their soul; they would feel a sweet, lasting satisfaction; their 'revelation' would be so simple — so void of complexity — as to shed all shadows of doubt and superfluous speculation; they would be left only with a peace of spirit that cures like cement at the foot of their soul, and anchors it forever to this profoundly simple truth: That there is a God, and that He does love you.

wes.

1 comment:

Dallas said...

Amen