Thursday, October 30, 2008

atltarcation.....altarnation.

For the record.

I am back from the country of Texas, where I just experienced the 4 most exhausting consecutive days of my life.

In 6 days, Red, Greg and myself managed to do what I think is supposedly impossible:

Day One: I write a 12-page screenplay. Red secures talent and locations.

Day Two: Rewrites with Greg and continuation of pre-production; more talent.

Day Three: I arrive in TX. Red and I visit locations, discuss lighting, rigging, etc. We spend the next 8 hours creating a shot list and schedule. More talent secured. In bed by 1am.

Day Four: Up at 6am. First location shooting takes place. We end up having to light an entire church. Not an easy thing. Second location: All natural-light. Extras used. Scenes shot for day: circa 5. Straight back to studio for rewrites, talent booking, scene scheduling. In bed by 12:30.

Day Five: Up at 5:30. At main location. Main Talent and 10 extras on set. Exterior scenes shot. Chapel gets lit and Interior scenes shot. Scenes shot for day: circa 10. In bed by Midnight.

Day Six. Up at 6am (slept in). Pre-light alcove for 3 scenes. Shoot said scenes. Shoot 5 exterior scenes in 2 hours. Shoot 4 exterior scenes plus coverage over the next 3 hours. Get inside and shoot in the Chapel for the next 4 hours. Circa 25 extras on set. Have INSANE technical difficulties with the Genny and Sound. Almost lose my mind. 7pm: Manage to actually wrap principal photography. Total scenes shot for day: No idea.

HOLY SNAP. Those aren't nearly 1/100th of the details that occurred over these last days. But I think it gives a sense of what it was like.

And I just got word from Red that everything looks smashing. Thank the dear Lord for that. We had to cut scenes due to time crunch, but hopefully got enough for it to cut together in a way that is successful.

I didn't document anything—kinda busy making the film—but I got one iPhone off of our doorway dolly on for a tracking shot. We were able to shoot some great dolly work and over-cranking as well.


This was the real-deal, and I can't wait to see the final product. I am in such overwhelming debt of gratitude toward Red for his Producing abilities and to Greg for his Directing skills. They quite literally made this project possible. As did the crew: Chris, Travis, Sam, Jonathan and Jacob the Intern. All vital. All wonderful.

It was my second time at the helm as Director of Photography, but I would call it my first real success. I am so jazzed that this has all gone down.

And it's ONE WEEK since we really decided to make it happen. I think that's pretty much impossible.

If you'd care to know, the story is about 2 rival pastors, 5 rival altar boys, 1 bag of Pepperidge Farm Goldfish Crackers that become the Eucharist, a falling from grace and a reconciliation. It's called either "Altarcation" or "Altarnation." I can't decide.

Both pastors were BRILLIANT in this film. One of them was a man named Van Quattro (AKA the toughest name ever), who had a solid scene in one of my favorite films, "Fight Club." I just watched the scene and was very proud indeed. It's short, but it's awesome, because I just spent the last 3 days with him—and that makes it awesome.

This film has to be finished in time for me to take it with me to LA on the 31st of November. We shot it in BEAUTIFUL high-definition with the Letus 35mm lens adapter. I got to watch some dailies, and it looks so very good.

I'm sure we'll get it up online by then, and will let you know when it is.

I am honestly just so pleased to have this experience under me (that's what she said?). I love filmmaking—more than I can say.

(I would lastly like to thank Abby McCarthy for planting the seed in my head 4 years ago with a casual comment: "You need to be a DP." I love you Abby, wherever you are.)

wesman.

PS—With no comments on my last post, I was either not controversial enough or just too lucid to fire back at. Probably the former. Either way, I hope that people who don't know me will stop reading my blog. I am not publishing political thoughts on this blog ever again, ever. I am not retracting any feelings, just not promulgating them in the future. I don't want a Soap Box, and unintentionally made one. I have converted it back to my Apple Box.

3 comments:

Babeich said...

My vote is Altarcation, although I kind of like the idea of both like you have in your title "Altarcation...Altarnation" - it's kind of catchy in a way. Well - kudos to you and I am really excited to get to see the final piece!

ryan hoffman photography said...

Sounds like a stressful but exciting time. Is this film meant to be a comedy? How long will the final running time be? Is this the film you are submitting to AFI now? Or did you submit "What Goes Around" afterall? How do you like all of these questions? Haha. I don't mean to be obnoxious. You know how these details interest me.

The Fifes said...

I had no idea you were doing a film. Definitely post more when you can!