Unlike some, I don't believe in throwing my hands up and living with a system because "I am only one person, and what difference could I make?"
Well, it makes a difference to me. And guess what: you do it as well. Every time you choose one thing over another, you cast your vote. It's only one vote—but it's a vote. Whether it's a product or a politician, every vote counts.
I don't mind that Sam Walton became a billionaire. I mind that, when any company goes public, the bottom dollar becomes the bottom line—and in many, many cases, ethics, morals and integrity go out the door.
I can't avoid the system. I don't want to avoid the system. I want people to do what they should do: put people—not money—first.
I own my own business. I create a quality product. There is no Fine Print, there are no Hidden Fees. In my world, everyone wins. I have often short-changed myself so that others could benefit, and try to be as honest as I possibly can, even when it's inconvenient.
And I sleep very well at night.
I don't think it's necessary that in order to do a lot of good, you have to allow a lot of bad to occur as well. "Well, there's this horrendous side effect, but look at all the good we're doing!"
Reminds me of the myriad prescription medicine commercials I see. They'll cure your symptoms all right, but you may have to live with some temporary blindness, itching, swelling, diarreah, and maybe Erectile Dysfunction.
Is it too much to ask to go back to the lab and flesh this thing out? Does it have to continue to spiral downward until it implodes?
I know that virtually everything I own is made in China. And I think that sucks. I don't mind China (communism aside). I would like to own some Chinese-made products. I would also like to own some American-Made products. Would you not?
"Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China." I feel a tinge of guilt every time I read it, no matter how much I love the product. We're not building iPods in China to boost their economy.
I want my iPhone to be made by John and Jane Doe. American Design, American Made. That makes sense to me.
Sounds pretty Republican, now that I think about it. Dammit. I guess I am a patriot.

No comments:
Post a Comment