Sunday, December 28, 2008

Breakin' II: Electric Boogaloo.

These past few weeks have been so much about Finn that I think both Lyndsay and myself have felt very absorbed in him—we are Finn, he is us, there is nothing else.

To this moment, he's still as needy as a newborn; he also came up with a cold, which cold has been the most frightfully feared sissy virus of all time. He also got croup. The kid cannot catch a break. HOWEVER: he's as happy as a clam (whatever that means), playing, laughing, eating and being generally awesome. He even took his antibiotic like a man the other night (not a single fuss, and almost willingly), which impressed me to no end. He is the funniest, sweetest most wonderful creation. For rizzle.

Yesterday I did finally break away to be alone in the desert for a couple hours. It was therapeutic and it was COLD, man. It was in the thirties before the sun even set. This is cold for the Sonoran Desert. And yes, people who live in Northerly places, I know it's colder where you are, so you don't have to say "Thirties, that's nothing." It's not nothing. It's the thirties. Zero is nothing.

It being my first hike of the season, I was painfully reminded of a couple things: One, wear gloves (insert image of scraped hand from slipping on a steep slope). Two, MIND THE CAT CLAWS. Holy snap how a Summer can melt the memory. Freaking bushes appear so harmless, but are like little cacti when you come in contact (insert image of scratched neck) with them.

The Sonoran is no place for those looking to avoid pain. It's a harsh environment that allows very little room for error.

But it is beautiful. Beautiful beyond description, and it has such a hold on me that can never be broken. To get out past Apache Junction is to cut off the Propofol of city-living and re-animate in a space that is most natural to my soul.

And on Thursday, a Paradigm Shift: I will be 30 years old. We're having a hell of a party, courtesy of Mammoth Saloon. I want to apologize to anyone I may have forgotten to invite.

For those who have been invited: If you have NOT yet RSVP'd, then I am sorry to say that the bill is full and there's no more availability for seating. We've maxed out our allotted number. This is great news for those who did RSVP. It's going to be a great night.

(Hint: Come 5 minutes early to see a Gun Fight. Oh, yeah.)

wes.

PS- "Breakin' II" was on yesterday. Man, the 80s were off the charts. I do miss break dancing as a cultural symbol.

1 comment:

Babeich said...

I am really sorry Bryan and I won't be able to be there - your event is the ONLY thing that made me consider, even if just for a second, not going to my dad's wedding. :) When we get back, and the little man is up to it, we need to take you all out to celebrate. I wish you an early welcome to decade number 3.